Sunday, 31th of October 2021 | Pentecost 23 | 10am, Holy Communion 3rd order
We dealt with each of you as a father deals with his own children, encouraging, comforting and urging you to live Therefore brothers and sisters, in all our distress and persecution we were encouraged about you because of your faith. For now we really live, since you are standing firm in the Lord. How can we thank God enough for you in return for all the joy we have in the presence of our God because of you? – I Thessalonians 3:7-9
Prayer of the week
God our Father, whose will it is to bring all things to order and unity in our Lord Jesus Christ: may all the peoples of the world, now divided and torn apart by sin, be brought together under his sovereign rule of love; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
To subscribe to our eNewsletter and personal prayer points, please contact us here.
- Father, as Melbourne prepares to come out of lockdown please help the people of this city to be gentle with each other and themselves. For those who are fearful – to be allowed to take their time. For those who are angry – to learn to act in your wisdom. For those who lead – to govern well the balance between freedoms and safety.
- Lord, help us to know how to deal with sin in others without falling into sin ourselves. (Galatians 6:1-5)
- Lord, many are persecuted for belonging to you. Please help those who are hated by the world to hold firm to trusting Jesus who has promised us his kingdom. May the joy of the Lord be their strength.
Our prayer meeting has moved to the first and third Thursday evenings of the month from 7pm to 7:30pm. In November the prayer gatherings will be on the 4th and 18th. The Zoom link to this meeting can be found on the home page of our web site.
The Angel Tree Appeal this year is starting up again in spite of the Covid restrictions.This year we’re appealing only for cash donations from St Edward’s family instead of purchasing gifts. Donations can be made either by; Cheque made out to Prison Fellowship Reference No. 5098AT from St Edwards Anglican Church, Blackburn South. The mail address is P.O. Box 280, Doncaster Heights, VIC 3109, or by Online Bank Transfer to NAB “Prison Fellowship Australia” account BSB 083 004 Account No.863009174.
Coming to Church and the Annual General Meeting
- Our first service onsite following Melbourne’s lockdown to be on Sunday 7th of November. All attendees will need to be fully vaccinated and masks will need to be worn. A QR code registration and/or other evidence of vaccination will be required.
- To make it possible for those who are not able to attend onsite worship to still be involved in our worship times, the onsite service will be broadcast through Zoom.
- To obtain a printed copy of your vaccine certificate the phone number to call is: 1800 653 809. You will need your Medicare number & bank details for confirmation. It takes 7 to 10 days to receive the certificate.
- The date and time for our AGM is: Sunday 28th of November from 11:30am (after the 10am service). The AGM will be onsite in the church building but we will make provision for people to join the meeting by Zoom as well. Please contact Jenny Lynch for nomination (council, wardens, incumbency) and electoral roll forms at email@example.com
1 Thessalonians 2:17-3:13 | Stand firm in the Lord
Standing in the Lord
We were like a grieving parent (2:17-20)
When we could stand it no longer – we sent Timothy (3:1-5)
And we were encouraged about you (3:6-10)
– May our God and Father and our Lord Jesus clear the way for us to come to you
– May the Lord make your love overflow
– May he strengthen your hearts that you will be blameless and holy
Stand in the Lord
For further thought
Q: What are some of the difficult things about being a Christian in Melbourne today?
Q: There are two powers working behind the scene in this passage – Satan (2:18; 3:5) whose will is to destroy the church through persecution and temptation and, God – (3:2) whose will is to spread the good news of Christ and to strengthen and encourage this trust. In both instances there are people serving both these powers. How does Paul tell the source of influences on the people he encounters. How do we?
Q: This passage reveals Paul’s love for the Thessalonian believers. What are the marks of his love for them? Is the church a joy like that for us?
Q: What is lacking in the Thessalonian’s faith (3:10) is partly described in the rest of the letter. Why is it so important that Paul make up this lack in his letters and his planned return to them? Do we think right teaching is as vital as Paul thinks it is?
Q: Given Paul models for believers the behaviours he wants them to imitate (1:6,7; 3:12) how can our pastors, volunteer leaders and congregation imitate the love (3:12), the passion for right belief (3:10) and the pursuit of holiness (3:13) as Paul does?
Worship together online
During lockdown our Sunday worship is available online via Zoom. Please see our website for details on how to connect via video link. stedwards.org.au. To connect by phone call: 7018 2005. The meeting ID for either method is: 851 0243 5510. The passcode is: 806354. This will let you into a waiting room until the host allows you to enter the service.
Thank you for your generous giving/update
In September our income was $6,071.89 and our expenses were $10,088.20. The deficit of $4,016.33 for the month was caused by lower than budget hall hire income due to Melbourne’s lockdown. Year to date income from all sources is 1% behind budget and expenses around 8% over budget. A full report will be available at our AGM
Account details are: BSB 063 197 | Account No. 1003 1885
Who do I contact?
St. Edwards is a church of the Anglican Diocese of Melbourne
Address: 59 Edinburgh Road, Blackburn South, Victoria 3130
w. stedwards.org.au e. firstname.lastname@example.org