Sunday, 17th of October 2021 | Pentecost 21 | 10am, Holy Communion 3rd order
Verse: We always thank God for all of you and continually mention you in our prayers. We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labour prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ. 1Thessalonians 1:2,3
Prayer of the week
Almighty God, your Son has opened for us a new and living way into your presence: give us pure hearts and steadfast wills to worship you in spirit and in truth; through the same Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
To subscribe to our eNewsletter and personal prayer points, please contact us here.
- Father, as Melbourne prepares to come out of lockdown please help the people of this city to be gentle with each other and themselves. For those who are fearful – to be allowed to take their time. For those who are angry – to learn to act in your wisdom. For those who lead – to govern well the balance between freedoms and safety.
- As our church council and bishop develop plans for the immediate future of St. Edward’s we ask that you would establish the work of our hands and allow the mission of this part of your Kingdom to thrive in works produced by faith, labour done in love and hope that in the coming of Christ all good works will be fully established in him.
Our prayer meeting has moved to the first and third Thursday evenings of the month from 7pm to 7:30pm. In October we will meet on Thursday the 7th and 21st. In November on the 4th and 18th. The Zoom link to this meeting can be found on the home page of our web site.
The Angel Tree Appeal this year is starting up again in spite of the Covid restrictions which have caused many complications to occur.
This year we’re appealing only for cash donations from St Edwards family instead of purchasing gifts. Donations can be made either by; Cheque made out to Prison Fellowship Reference No. 5098AT from St Edwards Anglican Church, Blackburn South. The mail address is P.O. Box 280, Doncaster Heights, VIC 3109, or by Online Bank Transfer to NAB “Prison Fellowship Australia” account BSB 083 004 Account No.863009174. Individual receipts will be provided.
Church Council and the Annual General Meeting
- We expect our first service onsite following Melbourne’s lockdown to be on Sunday 7th of November. Attendance at these services will be limited in number, all attendees will need to be fully vaccinated and masks worn. A QR code registration of other evidence of vaccination will be required.
- To make it possible for those who are not able to attend onsite worship to still be involved in our worship times, Parish Council is planning to continue broadcasting the onsite service via Zoom. We will be testing the technology for this throughout October.
- We are delivering flyers to households in our parish over the next few weeks. If you are able to help deliver flyers as part of your daily exercise please contact Stephen Smith.
- We met with our Bishop (Genieve Blackwell) last Sunday to review our Mission Action Plan (MAP). The plan, as well as an update on the future of St. Ed’s will be presented at our AGM in November (date to be announced).
1 Thessalonians 1 ‘We always thank God for you’
Our model of church?
We always thank God for you
work produced by faith, labour prompted by love, endurance inspired by hope.
And so you became a model
You received God’s word, turned to God from idols, serve him and wait for his Son.
Our model of church?
For further thought
Acts 17:1-10 gives us a brief background to the establishment of the church in Thessalonica.
Q: Comparing the reading from Acts with the first three chapters of 1 Thessalonians what do we learn about the depth of the Christian mission that Luke could only outline for us in Acts?
Q: In chapter 1, Paul gives thanks for the Thessalonian church as a model for other churches to imitate (6,7) because (3):
Their works proceed from faith
Their labours proceed from love
Their endurance proceeds from hope
How does Christian faith, love and hope produce good works, labour done in love and endurance even in the face of suffering (6)?
Q: How does the character of this church effectively proclaim the gospel to every one who hears about them (5,7,8-10)?
Q: What do we look for in model churches, churches we’d like to imitate? How does this differ from the marks of God’s work amongst the Thessalonians?
Q: What motivates our good works? What is the focus of our loves? What is the hope we live for as God’s people in our churches now?
Worship together online
During lockdown our Sunday worship is available online via Zoom. Please see our website for details on how to connect via video link. stedwards.org.au. To connect by phone call: 7018 2005. The meeting ID for either method is: 851 0243 5510. The passcode is: 806354.
Thank you for your generous giving/update
In September our income was $6,071.89 and our expenses were $10,088.20. The deficit of $4,016.33 for the month was caused by lower than budget hall hire income due to Melbourne’s lockdown. Year to date income from all sources is 1% behind budget and expenses around 8% over budget. A full report will be available at our AGM
Account details are: BSB 063 197 | Account No. 1003 1885
Who do I contact?
St. Edwards is a church of the Anglican Diocese of Melbourne
Address: 59 Edinburgh Road, Blackburn South, Victoria 3130
w. stedwards.org.au e. email@example.com