Praise the Lord. Praise God in his sanctuary; praise him in his mighty heavens. Praise him for his acts of power; praise him for his surpassing greatness. Let everything that has breath praise the Lord. – Psalm 150.1,2,6
Prayer of the week
Almighty God, you have so ordered our earthly life that we must walk by faith and not by sight: give us such trust in your fatherly care that in the face of all perplexities we may give proof of our faith by the courage of our lives; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Prayer points and requests
To subscribe to our eNewsletter and personal prayer points, please contact us here.
- Father, enable us to use our gifts to serve each other in love and with enthusiasm.
- We ask for teens to grow in trusting you through the confusion, rebellion and temptations they face. Keep then from harm in the far country and bring them home, to you their true Father.
- Father, give the courage to tell our friends, family, colleagues and neighbours about the hope we have in Jesus. (Romans 1:16-17).
- Lord, the world needs to hear the gospel spoken boldly and clearly so that the nations may learn how to be blessed and to flourish under your care. You have chosen to use us for this large work. Please call and equip us as the labourers for this harvest.
Our prayer meeting will move to the first and third Thursday evenings of the month from 7pm to 7:30pm. In October we will meet on Thursday the 7th and 21st. The Zoom link to this meeting can be found on the home page of our web site.
The Angel Tree Appeal this year is starting up again in spite of the Covid restrictions which have caused many complications to occur.
This year we’re appealing only for cash donations from St Edwards family instead of purchasing gifts. Donations can be made either by; Cheque made out to Prison Fellowship Reference No. 5098AT from St Edwards Anglican Church, Blackburn South. The mail address is P.O. Box 280, Doncaster Heights, VIC 3109, or by Online Bank Transfer to NAB “Prison Fellowship Australia” account BSB 083 004 Account No.863009174. Individual receipts will be provided.
Parish Council update
- We expect our first service onsite following Melbourne’s 6th lockdown to be on Sunday 7th of November. This will be after 80% of over 16 year olds have been vaccinated against Covid 19 in Victoria. Attendance at these services will be limited in number by a 4 square metre seating rule, the need for all attendees to be fully vaccinated and masks to be worn. A QR code registration that includes evidence of vaccination will be required.
- To make it possible for those who are not able to attend onsite worship to still be involved in our worship times, Parish Council is planning to continue broadcasting the onsite service via Zoom. We will be testing the technology for this throughout October.
- Council adopted a new logo and mission statement at its last meeting as we prepare to advertise events at St. Edward’s more widely and update the design of our web site. Both can be seen in the header of this newsletter.
- We will be delivering flyers to households in our parish over the next few weeks. If you are able to help deliver flyers while walking your dog or on your daily exercise tour please contact Stephen Smith.
Teaching notes: Psalm 150
The end of history will be praise
These prayers are our words
These prayers are Christ’s words
– Acts of power
– Surpassing greatness
God wins and we sing
For further thought
Q: How does it help us to know how the story of our lives and the story of humanity will end?
Q: If we knew that the end of all things is praise of God – how would our lives change?
Q: Why is music, dancing and singing such a feature in this Psalm? How does it compare to our worship?
Q: The Psalms are given to us by God to teach us to pray. In the New Testament we learn they are also Christ’s words that he prays for and with us (e.g. Matthew 27.46; Luke 24.44; Acts 2.25-36). How can this help our own prayer life?
Worship online together
During lockdown our Sunday worship is available online via Zoom. Please see our website for details on how to connect via video link. stedwards.org.au.
To connect by phone please contact our office here for the number and codes.
Thank you for your generous giving
St Edward’s Account details are: BSB 063 197 | Account No. 1003 1885
Who do I contact?
Michael Flynn is our current interim minister – please contact him here.
St. Edwards is a church of the Anglican Diocese of Melbourne
a: 59 Edinburgh Road, Blackburn South, Victoria, Australia. 3130 | w: stedwards.org.au | e: firstname.lastname@example.org