Study from Bible Reading Fellowship “New Daylight” daily readings
Contributed by Rev Michael Mitton, UK Writer, Speaker and Spiritual Director.
Miracles beyond measure
“Jesus went throughout Galilee, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the kingdom and curing every disease and every sickness among the people. So his fame spread throughout all Syria, and they brought to him all the sick, those who were afflicted with various diseases and pains, demoniacs, epileptics, and paralytics, and he cured them. And great crowds followed him from Galilee, the Decapolis, Jerusalem, Judea and from beyond the Jordan.”
This story comes immediately after the calling of the first disciples, and these disciples quickly came to realise that this rabbi they have chosen to follow is no ordinary rabbi. He is not only a great teacher, but he also the extraordinary powers, such that they witness things they have never imagined: blind people seeing, deaf people hearing and people once lame now leaping with joy.
No doubt there were some in Jesus’ band who advised him to tone down all the healing bit. People were now travelling from far-off places, and the crowds were getting out of hand. And besides, many in the crowd wanted just a straight healing and had no interest in the message Jesus was trying to preach. Some disciples may have said to Jesus to just select those who clearly understood the teaching. But Jesus took no heed of that advice. His miracles were wild and free, with no strings attached. This kingdom of God was one of lavish generosity and grace. This was the scope of the love of God – it was without measure and was available to all.
- What an amazing sight that would have been, if you had been there to witness these miracles what do you think would have been your reaction?
- But some did not believe John 7:5 “His own brothers did not believe……” Do you believe that Jesus power is still healing people in these days by the laying on of hands in religious services etc ?
- At the beginning of Michael Mitton’s 2nd paragraph he surmises that some of the disciples might have asked Jesus to tone the healing down a bit. Some of it might have been rather unpleasant to view, especially casting out demons. Many people feel like that nowadays. Do you feel like that, or can you see God’s incredible work? Have you known healing yourself or someone else?
- The people in Jesus day were without our scientific knowledge, but were aware that the world was governed by clear physical laws. Today some scientists are Christians, but others are not. Why do you think the latter can’t see God in the incredible intricacies of physics?
- Children have no difficulty believing miracles. They simply trust and believe. Are you able to trust God as a child does?
Lord help us to believe with trust and faith. Help us to accept your sometimes strange ways without bias. Lord we believe, help us to overcome our unbelief.
Bible Study 7- 06/10/21