We all experience temptation. It is not a small matter, for when we are tempted, our own evil desires entice us into sin which leads to spiritual death if we do not seek God’s forgiveness through Jesus (James 1:14-15).
So we should beware when we start thinking “Why shouldn’t I have this?” or “I deserve this” or “Everyone else is doing it”. That is excusing our sin & ignoring God’s warnings.
Australian Christian writer Tony Bird says that when facing temptation:
1. Know that we will fail without the grace of God to strengthen us (see 1 Peter 1:5 “We are shielded only by God’s power”).
2. Pray for wisdom in times of temptation, perhaps wisdom to flee from temptation. (Gen 39).
3. Hold on to the promises of scripture. eg “God is faithful and with every temptation he will provide a way of escape so that we are able to bear it” (1 Cor. 10:13).
4. Seek the help of Jesus who can rescue us from the evil one (Matt 6:13)
5. Share our difficulties and ongoing struggles with temptation with other trusted Christians who can uphold us in prayer and hold us accountable to deter us from giving in to temptation
-Geoff Milton (Locum Minister)